Toyota Car and Truck Keyless Entry Remotes and Fobs
For many late model Toyota car and truck models, keyless entry by use of remotes and fobs is a standard feature. Some higher-end vehicles also include technology for remote engine starting and stopping. Most Toyota car and truck keyless entry remotes and fobs include programming instructions as well.What is a keyless entry system?
As implied in its description, this is a system that allows you to gain access to the inside of a locked car or truck without the need for a key to be inserted and turned in the door lock. It an important safety feature.Why is keyless entry considered safer than using a key?
A keyless system is considered safer for several reasons including:
- In surroundings that may be dark or unsafe, a car can quickly be unlocked, entered and locked again without having to fumble for keys and find the door locks.
- Parents or other adults who may be transporting children can easily unlock all doors of the vehicle at once, allowing children to quickly and safely get into the car.
- When carrying packages or shopping bags to the car, there may not always be a safe place to set the packages down while unlocking the car. A remote system eliminates this risk.
- Most remote fobs include a panic button that will sound an alarm when pressed.
The fob is the device used as the access remote to the car. It is normally small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and can perform a variety of functions, depending upon the model purchased. Some of these functions include:
- Opening the trunk or hatch of the vehicle.
- Starting the vehicles ignition remotely.
- Activating or deactivating the vehicles security system.
- Lowering or raising the automatic windows.
Cars designed with keyless remote systems have remotes that are already programmed and ready to use. However, situations may come up that require the fobs to be re-programmed. For this reason, every car includes easy-to-understand directions for reprogramming, or you can take the fob to any auto dealer for programming. You can also find replacement fobs if needed.How long will the batteries last in my key fob?
With normal use, most key fob batteries will last three to five years, and some will last longer than that. It is important to pay attention and take notice if the key fob begins functioning sluggishly or intermittently. The drivers manual should include directions for battery replacement