Jeep CJ5 Fuel Tanks
A Jeep CJ5 can take you on exciting adventures, but make sure you have the fuel to make it to your destination. If you need to replace your original tank, you can find fuel tanks for Jeeps. They should be sturdy and safe to use, so you can soon be filling up at the station and heading out onto the open road.What are fuel tanks made out of?
It goes without saying that a fuel tank needs to be strong and sturdy to prevent any leaks. For your Jeep CJ5, you could consider tanks made out of the following materials:
- Steel: This is a widely available material that can be stamped into various sizes and welded together.
- Aluminum: Like steel, aluminum is durable and lightweight, and its commonly found in a variety of vehicle applications.
- Plastic: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is a type of plastic that can be molded into various shapes.
Most contemporary vehicles come with just one fuel tank. They have accurate fuel gauges. CJ5s, like other classic vehicles, were made in a period where people didnt rely on all of those computerized parts, instruments, and resources. That being said, it can be a good idea to get a reserve tank for your Jeep. With access to two tanks, you can make sure youll have all the gas you need when youre driving your CJ5.What are some tanks to consider for a CJ5?
- Spectra Premium: This part includes a lock ring and is corrosion-resistant. It weighs 18.69 pounds and has a fuel capacity of 15 gallons. The galvanized steel tank has a painted silver coating and measures 10.875 inches by 25.25 inches by 18.25 inches.
- Dorman: Weighing in at 17.55 pounds, it measures 10.875 inches by 25.25 inches by 18.25 inches. It is made out of steel and comes with a lock ring and an O ring. Its capacity is 15 gallons.
- Rear steel gas tank: This steel tank includes a long filler pipe that measures 6 inches as well as a 6-inch vent pipe.
- A traditional place for a tank to be placed in a Jeep CJ5 is under the drivers seat. You could place a second tank under the Jeeps passenger seat. In these positions on a Jeep, these parts will be somewhat protected from damage in the case of a front-end collision.
- You could also choose a rear-mounted position for your Jeep tank. Just make sure you can secure it and protect it from any debris that you may encounter on a rough drive. Whether you fill it from the drivers or passengers side depends on the exact model.