Shoes, sandals, and boots for dogs keep your pets paws dry and provide protection in inclement conditions. Rubber and other heavy-duty shoe materials provide animals with traction on wet, slippery surfaces and protect them from injuries. If you have been thinking about purchasing boots for your pet but are not sure what to look for, find out more about styles and sizing for dog boots and shoes.What keeps dog shoes from falling off your pets paws?
If your best friend is unused to wearing shoes, it might not like dog boots, sandals, or shoes. However, manufacturers such as Pawz and Ruffwear have developed various ways to prevent the dog shoes from coming off. Some of these include:
- Form-fitting rubber-like material that holds the boot tight
- Adjustable Velcro strips that fasten around the dogs ankles
- Ankle cuffs with Velcro fasteners
- Zipper closure with hook and loop top tabs
Place a piece of paper on the floor and set a paw over it. Gently push down so the claws span out like they normally do when the dog is walking. Mark a dot at the right and left sides of the paw, and measure the distance in between the dots. This gives you a measurement you can match to the appropriate sizes. Keep in mind that different styles of boots, sandals, and shoes may vary in size. Generally speaking, specific breeds wear the following sizes:
- X-small: dachshund, pug, min-pin
- Small: beagle, Jack Russell terrier, French bulldog
- Medium: boxer, border collie, cocker spaniel
- Large: German shepherd, golden retriever, husky
- X-large: bullmastiff, Great Dane, St. Bernard
Dog boots, sandals, and shoes are designed for specific purposes. Sporty sneakers and sandals should be breathable for dogs on the go. Winter dog boots should provide protection from snow and ice. Look for several important features in dog boots for winter.
- Traction control: The bottoms of the boots or shoes should be textured for gripping slippery surfaces.
- Flexibility: Shoes and dog boots should be flexible enough to allow natural movement.
- Water resistance: Winter dog boots and shoes must keep canine feet dry.
- Warmth: Boots and shoes with fleece linings help protect your dog from the cold.
- Security: Stay-on straps are essential in dog boots and shoes.
The first time they wear boots or shoes, dogs are likely to try to pull them off immediately. Remove the shoes or boots and encourage your dog to sniff and investigate the footwear. Put its paws back in the shoes, and give praise and a treat. Repeat until the dog is calm, let it walk around for a while in its new shoes or boots, and you both should be good to go.